Migraines & Headache Treatment Tomball
Migraines are intense headaches that can cause severe throbbing pain that can last for hours or even days. The pounding or pulsing sensation generally begins in the forehead, one side of the head, or around the eyes. It is generally accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound. Also, movement and activity can exacerbate a migraine attack.
A warning symptom, also known as an aura, can sometimes occur before or with a headache. The aura can include visual disturbances, including flashes of lights or colors, blind spots, or even temporary vision loss. Auras can last about 15 to 30 minutes.
There are various types of migraines that vary in symptoms, severity, and duration, including classic, common, and retinal migraines and icepick and cluster headaches.
Common Symptoms of Migraines
Migraine symptoms and their severity and frequency vary from person to person. Signs and symptoms of migraine may include:
- Intense throbbing, pounding or dull aching pain on one or both sides of your head
- Nausea or vomiting
- Extreme sensitivity to light, sound, and movement
- Vision changes or impairment, including blurred vision, blind spots, and sometimes temporary vision loss
- Fatigue and sometimes a sense of confusion
- Feeling cold or sweaty
- Neck stiffness
Migraine symptoms can increase over time and severe asthma attacks can become life-threatening.
Diagnosis & Treatment for Migraines
TrendHealth Clinic provides comprehensive migraine treatment in Tomball. If you regularly have signs and symptoms of migraine, we recommend you keep a record of your attacks and how you treated them. Then make an appointment with our provider team to discuss your headaches. Generally, our primary care physician can diagnose migraines based on the symptoms you describe.
If the diagnosis is unclear, we may want to do blood tests. In some cases, we may also want to do imaging tests, such as an MRI or CAT scan of the brain, to help ensure there are no other causes for the headaches.
There are two types of medicines for migraine treatments:
- Abortive medicines attempt to stop the headache from becoming severe and relieve the pain and other symptoms. For mild to moderate migraines, the following over-the-counter medicines may help relieve migraine pain:
- Acetaminophen (for example, Tylenol)
- Combination of aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine (for example, Excedrin Migraine)
- Ibuprofen (for example, Motrin)
- Naproxen (for example, Aleve)
- Preventive medicines are taken every day to reduce how often a migraine occurs.
Together we can determine which of these two types of medicine is best for you. In some cases, people use both types. If the pain is so severe or won’t go away, we can prescribe stronger pain medicine.
When to Visit TrendHealth Clinic
TrendHealth Clinic can diagnose, treat, and help monitor your migraines. Make an appointment for headache treatment in Tomball if:
- You are frequently suffering from headaches (three or more a week)
- Your chronic headaches won’t go away and keep getting worse
- You suffer from an abrupt, severe headache that comes with dizziness, fever, severe nausea and vomiting, trouble with speech, or confusion
- Your headache is preceded by a head injury, especially if the headache worsens
- You are over 50 years old and begin having new headache pain
We can help you manage your migraines, so they do not interfere with your life. Because migraines can impact your ability to perform daily living activities, it is important that you meet with us regularly to discuss your symptoms and make any needed treatment adjustments. Also, contact us if your medication isn’t helping to ease migraine pains.
Call or Schedule an Appointment with TrendHealth Clinic
You can make an appointment with TrendHealth Clinic by doing one of the following:
Call us at 346-246-3424 to speak with one of our care managers who will be happy to schedule an appointment with one of our healthcare providers. We often have same-day and next-day appointments available.
Schedule an Appointment Online
To complete our online registration to book an appointment, click here.
Schedule a Primary Care Visit
Schedule a TeleHealth Visit from the comfort of your home in Houston or anywhere in Texas. A TeleHealth Visit is appropriate for a variety of care needs. To learn more about setting up a TeleHealth visit with a member of our care team or the types of TeleHealth Visits that are available, click here.