Degenerative Disk & Joint Disease (Arthritis)
Arthritis is the inflammation and swelling of the joints, which causes pain and often limits the movement of the affected joints. Arthritis typically worsens with age. Two common types of arthritis are degenerative joint disease, or osteoarthritis, and degenerative disc disease.
Osteoarthritis is characterized by the breakdown of joint cartilage and may affect any joint in the body and is also called “wear and tear” arthritis. Degenerative disc disease is an age-related condition that happens when one or more of the discs between the vertebrae of the spinal column deteriorates or breaks down, leading to pain.
Normally, a smooth layer of cartilage acts as a pad between the bones of a joint. Cartilage helps the joint move easily and comfortably. In some people, the cartilage thins as the joints are used. This is the start of osteoarthritis. Over time, the cartilage wears away, and the bones may rub against each other. The rubbing causes pain, swelling, and decreased motion of the joint.
While arthritis is often an age-related issue, obesity, repetitive motion, sports, and joint injuries are all factors that can increase the risk of developing osteoarthritis or worsen existing symptoms.
Common Symptoms of Degenerative Disk & Joint Disease
Signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease may include:
- Pain or aches in joints
- Stiffness in joints that is worse in the morning but may improve as the day progresses
- Swelling or tenderness in a joint
- Decreased movement in a joint due to pain, which may affect daily functions
- Chronic back pain
- Back spams
The affected joints and severity of the inflammation and pain will vary from person to person.
Diagnosis & Treatments for Degenerative Disk & Joint Disease
TrendHealth Clinic provides comprehensive degenerative joint and disc treatment in Tomball. There is no cure for osteoarthritis, and it generally worsens over time. However, we can create a plan that is right for you, which includes helping you stay active, protecting your joints from damage, limiting injury, and controlling pain.
Common treatments of osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease may include:
- Over-the-counter medicines (ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin) help manage the pain and swelling
- Prescription medication to relieve and manage inflammation and pain
- Physical or occupational therapy
- Special supportive devices like canes and walkers
- Surgery or joint replacement
For sports-related joint pain and damage, our sports medicine providers in Tomball will help you get back to the gym or on the court, field, or paths in no time.
How TrendHealth Clinic Can Help
TrendHealth Clinic can diagnose, treat, and help you manage your osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease symptoms. Visit us if:
- Pain, tenderness, or stiffness in one or more joints, particularly first thing in the morning
- Joint pain that worsens after activity or at the end of the day
- Swollen joints, especially after extended activity or use
- Limited range of motion that affects daily functions or activities
- Chronic back or neck pain
- Back pain that worsens or becomes so severe if affects basic daily functions
- Numbness or weakness that goes your shoulders, arms, legs, or hands
Call or Schedule an Appointment with TrendHealth Clinic
You can make an appointment with TrendHealth Clinic by doing one of the following:
Call us at 346-246-3424 to speak with one of our care managers who will be happy to schedule an appointment with one of our healthcare providers. We often have same-day and next-day appointments available.
Schedule an Appointment Online
To complete our online registration to book an appointment, click here.
Schedule a TeleHealth Visit
Schedule a TeleHealth Visit from the comfort of your home in Houston or anywhere in Texas. A TeleHealth Visit is appropriate for a variety of care needs. To learn more about setting up a TeleHealth visit with a member of our care team or the types of TeleHealth Visits that are available, click here.